Québec is subject to various climate changes. From frost and thaw to heat waves, these climate conditions can damage and or reveal major roofing dysfunctions. A roofing assessment consists of the analysis of the various components which form the roof and its waterproofing system, namely:
- Type of finish (membrane, steel, asphalt shingles, metal roof, etc);
- Flashings: a waterproofing element placed on the surface or incorporated into the construction;
- Eavestroughing: aluminum ducts or gutters placed along roof extremities to evacuate rainfall water.
- The soffits: installed below the roofing edge extensions, they provide the ventilation necessary to prevent degradation of the rafters and roof structure.
- Roof ventilators: these mechanical devices provide ventilation to the roofing and attic space to allow for the hot and humid air to be rejected outside.
- Insulation: in order to conserve heat in the wintertime and promote energy efficiency, the attic or ventilated space must be isolated with products that adhere to energy efficiency regulations.